August 31, 2010
Leonard Cohen - Chelsea Hotel
This song is great because of the story around it. Leonard wrote this song about the late great Janis Joplin. It is filled with a mix of loving admiration and bitter self loathing.
Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man
So many great Bob Dylan songs it was hard to choose just one. I will leave the explanation of this songs lyrics up to Zimmy himself. When asked in 1965 who Mr. Jones is he said, "He's a pinboy. He also wears suspenders. He's a real person. You know him, but not by that name... I saw him come into the room one night and he looked like a camel. He proceeded to put his eyes in his pocket. I asked this guy who he was and he said, "That's Mr. Jones." Then I asked this cat, "Doesn't he do anything but put his eyes in his pocket?" And he told me, "He puts his nose on the ground." It's all there, it's a true story."
Don McLean - Vincent
I have never been a huge Don McLean fan. Many will remember Don McLean for his song 'American Pie' but I have always found 'Vincent' to be his true masterpiece. He captures all of the beauty and tragedy of Van Goghs existence.
Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
I first heard of Warren Zevon through the writings of Hunter S. Thompson. Warren had met Hunter on that fateful vacation to Kuai and although I can't find any evidence to support the theory I have always thought that this song has to have been inspired by that psychedelic snow-leopard from Kentucky.
August 24, 2010
Elemental - Cup of Brown Joy
This song is my new favorite before-breakfast-ditty. I do say, good sir, I may have to pop a cap in your ass.
Jason Forrest - War Photographer
I first ran accross this song on Warren Ellis' Site some time last year. Any video that has a viking rock off in it is sure to get stuck in my grey matter.
Mr Bungle - Retrovertigo
There is so much to be said about this video. Balding bearded children, Jesus/Drama-Ninja Cults, Cocaine use and adultery. This video has all that and one of the creepiest story lines that I have seen for awhile. I haven't seen any music television for along time and always wonder if stuff like this makes it on there or if it is a new breed of video that exists because of mediums like youtube.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion
I have never listened to much of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but I really enjoy this song. It's simplistic beat and almost spoken word versus make the high reaching and melodic chorus all the better. I found out today that this song also employs one of my favorite music video cliches. The band that plays on after the apocalypse is one of my favorite video motifs.
Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses
This is one of the scariest songs ever recorded. Forget about the score to Psycho or Texas Chainsaw Massacre this song is what plays in hell on repeat.
B-52's - Rock Lobster
The B-52's are a band that specializes in the insane, if you don't believe me just watch this video to the part where they start making sea creature calls. I really regret not seeing them live when I had the chance.
The Odds - Eat My Brain
The opening line to this song always grabs hold of my attention. What is a 'Doobie Eyed Madonna'? I envision one of those Virgin Mary statues that you see in Catholic Churches with bloodshot eyes and cheeto dust all around her mouth.
The Dresden Dolls - Coin Operated Boy
I have always had a thing for art geek girls and Amanda Palmer feeds right into that odd niche. The smell of mod podge and pencil shavings have always been an odd turn on for me. This song is pure gold too.
Electric Six featuring Jack White - Danger! High Voltage
I had the whole Electric Six discography on my iPod but found that I only ever listened to this song and `Gay Bar`. Is it possible to be a two hit wonder?
Raghu Lokanathan - Ramona & Caledonia
Now this is the first time I will be posting to the artist website instead of youtube. None of the videos on youtube do Raghu justice. My favorite Raghu song isn't on the site but give Ramona and Caledonia a spin. They can be found at the bottom of the page.
Once again I have begged some friends for some recommendation for my music mix and once again I have been answered by two amigos.
This week the lovely Katie Francis has taken time off of her wonderful web comic Circle of Leaf to help a lazy blogger out.
Imogen Heap - Goodnight and Go
I had heard this track before but had never seen the video. Thanks Kate!
Once again James Pare has brought us a bountiful audio feast from Japan. I had never heard of Polysics before James put it up on the google doc I use to panhandle for music mix recommendations. I now find myself in love with the idea of an a funky techno band with a member entirely dedicated to the art of Popping and Locking. I suggest watching 'I My Me Mine' before watching Mr. Pares recommendation as that video bleeds straight into the other.
Polysics - Electric Surfing Go Go
August 17, 2010
August 10, 2010
Cocorosie - Japan
Bjork - Army of Me
M.I.A - Paper Planes
Yoshida Brothers - Kodo
The Pillows - Little Busters
April March - Chick Habit
The 5,6,7,8's - I Walk Like Jane Mansfield
Manu Chao - Welcome to Tijuana
I have been a bad blogger, good thing I only have three followers. I visited James and Candice last week when I went down to Victoria. James was hard at work as a mix-master and awoke my sleeping love of mixed drinks. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play bartender in your own kitchen. Pictured is my first home made mojito. I used some frozen blackberries that Krista had given me. Frozen Blackberry Mojitos are amazing.
2. WHAT IS THE MOST MAGICAL THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU? I was once brought back to life with two paddles.
3. WHAT IS THE LAST BAD MOVIE YOU HAVE SEEN AND WISH YOU COULD HAVE YOUR TIME WASTED BACK? the SORCERERS apprentice was bad, but I wouldn't say it was bad enough to justify temporal tampering. If I had to choose a movie worthy of chronological meddling I would have to sight Indiana Jones 4.
4. BOOBS OR BUTTS? Why do I have to choose? Can't the boobie people and the butt people come together under a common love of round things.
5. WHAT COLOR ARE THE SOCKS/SHOES/FEET YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW? White with grey tips.
6. WOULD YOU FROLIC IN THE RAIN IN YOUR SKIVVIES WITH ME? Sure... Void after October.
7. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EGGS? Over easy.
8. WHERE IS AN AWESOME PLACE YOU HAVE BEEN TO AND WOULD LIKE TO SHOW SOMEONE HOW AMAZING IT IS? The Grand Canyon was really amazing. Grand doesn't even feel like the right word for it. The Humbling Canyon or maybe the Ginormous Canyon would probably be more accurate.
2. where is the best place to go swimming? lake, river or ocean? River. So refreshing after a hot day at work.
3. what is the one thing, that if you didn't ever get to do, you would always regret? Save a Wookies life. Two Words: Life Debt
4. what is the most recent song you have played on repeat? Weird Al Yankovic, I Lost at jeopardy.
5. if jim gave you 2 cents, ann gave you 7, and john gave you 5 cents would you really care how much you had all together or would you be more concerned that all your friends were cheapos? Of course I would care. I would rank them all according to their contributions. Ann is now my Best friend, John is now wavering between buddy and Chum, and Jim would be my new nemesis.
6. are dinosaurs awesome? This reads as a retorical question to me. I am pro Jesus Horse.
7. what colour are your underwear? I have lots of underwear in a plethora of different colors.
8. if we were to play hide and seek right now, and i was counting down from ten, where would you hide? Look behind you...
August 2, 2010
I have to post this after hearing how funny Candice thought it was. I have always enjoyed walking around the house as a Bath Towel Roman. I think it's because I was a well to do Roman Citizen in a past life. Plus it's always fun to run around the house in a half nude state.